July 10, 2010
Water Anyone?
So, does anyone know what brand this is? Do you even know what the proper name of it is? Well, I DO! I spent all day Thursday looking for parts for this silly thing. We were wondering why the yard wasn't getting watered properly. Dad replaced the battery and the fuse in the timer but the water still didn't turn on. I then tried to manually turn on the sprinklers and it didn't get enough water pressure. We decided the problem had to be with the "red handle" - that's what we have always called it. After doing some adjustments, we just made the problem worse, however - Dad broke off a vital piece. We thought we could easily replace the handle - just screw it off and screw another handle on - right? WRONG!!! There are different sizes and brands of these - they are called "yard hydrants", by the way. Dad and I went to three different stores in Rexburg with no luck. Then we took a break for lunch and I went to Idaho Falls. I went to several stores - Lowes & Home Depot only sold the complete hydrants, not just the heads. In order to use those, however, we would have to dig up the whole yard with a backhoe and cause a huge mess. We really didn't want to do that, so I kept searching. I called 1st Street plumbing and was informed that I needed to know the brand because they were not interchangeable and that he didn't carry these anyway. Then I went to Fall Plumbing supply - across town by CAL Ranch - they informed me that they didn't carry this brand - they said it looked like a Merrill and that I should go to Robertsons Supply. It is located across town all the way to the end of Utah Street. I headed over there with my bag full of pieces to see if they carried this brand of hydrant. They informed me that they didn't carry this brand but they knew of a place that did. Great - I was so excited I forgot the directions on how to get to Ferguson Supply. I ended up looking up their address in the phone book and called Derek to help me locate it. He gave me great directions, but the place wasn't there and Derek said according to his records the address was invalid. I called up Ferguson supply and asked them if they carried the Merrill brand - they did - then I asked about their location and he said they had moved. Instead of being at 201 S. Boulevard, they were now located at 190 Stanley. Okay, I tried to get directions from him but wasn't too clear so I called up Derek again and he gave me great directions. I went clear over by the INL buildings and thought I was lost, but ended up at the right place. I found the parts department and talked with the guy who helped me on the phone. He brought out the one merrill hydrant head that they had in stock. I was very excited and showed them my old one. It didn't really look the same so I tried the old parts on the new head and it didn't work. I was so disappointed. They said it wasn't really a Merrill brand and that it looked like a Woodford brand. They told to prepare for the bad news. They said I was going to have to dig up the old one and completely replace it - I called Mom & Dad on the way home. I thought maybe we could dig it up but Dad said we would have to get a backhoe to do it. Great - we needed water for the next day when we all had to go to the temple. Wait, just a minute, Dad goes heading off to the garage without a word and I follow. He moves a couple things around and asks me to get on the bottom shelf to see if we have another hydrant head there. I found one piece and then another. We had it! We found another one that was exactly like ours. I was thrilled and so was Dad. We had Mom cancel the backhoe that was coming and we went out to replace the old head. Now comes another problem. There is a crack in the head - great - now we will still have to dig it up. But, wait . . . why couldn't we take parts from the old one and use parts from the newer old one and piece it together. We were able to get it to work - it just leaked a little so we had to put in a new o-ring the next day. Oh, and the one we found in the garage had a brand name on it - - - WOODMANSE - - - I did some looking on the internet and of course, they are out of business. It's a good thing Dad remembered about this old hydrant head he kept. We called at 5:10 pm and got the city workers to come back and turn on the water and we got the lawn watered. We were very blessed. I am really glad we didn't have to hire a backhoe to dig it up and ruin our lawn in the process. So, the moral of the story is . . . don't throw out partially broken plumbing fixtures. You never know when you may need them. Also, never, never, never give up. We kept trying until we made it work. I am just glad it all worked out. If anyone runs across a yard hydrant head that is a Woodmanse brand, could you please buy it for us so we will have a spare? THANKS!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow, you could write a book titled, "Hey Hoser--I'm Talking to YOU!" You know that Mom and Dad are going to use this as their newest excuse as to why they keep everything, don't you? You are a trouper to go to all the work of trying to find the replacement BJ. YOU are my hero. You had me laughing. Greatest B-day gift in the world! Love ya.
Gotta love it! I knew this would be a great story for the "save-it-because-you-never-know-when-you-might-need-it" type people. I guess I just need more inspiration about what to save and then I could have things more organized. i'm glad you got a laugh out of the story. I was going to use this as a picture of the day but I was too lazy to type it up on Thursday.
What aa day we had especially you with all your running around. Thanks again Becky, what would we do without you. Guess we will keep you around in case we need you. Ha Ha!
Post a Comment