June 10, 2008

Day Camp 2008


Yesterday was a fun day for my cub scouts. We went to Krupp Hollow and went Around the World in 9 workshops. We started out in the United States, of course. We learned about citizenship and the American flag and the national anthem. Each boy got a passport that they had stamped at each location. We next went to the transportation station where they got to race cub mobiles - one scout drove while the other pushed. Then we went to Greece where the boys got to participate in a mini-Olympics. The next stop was Venezuela where the boys learned about playing baseball and about what camping is like there. Our final stop before lunch was Scotland - the boys got to play miniature golf here.

Lunch was a well-needed break. We got about 40 minutes to relax in the shade. I thought it was the perfect temperature, but some of the boys were cold and so was Sister Thurston. The best part of lunch for the boys was to visit the trading post - they got to buy items witht he money they brought. Candy and swords were the favorites.

After lunch we headed off to Mexico where the boys designed their own ponchos. Then we went to France and the boys rode bicycles. After this event, we were off to the wilds of Africa for a safari (a walk through the woods). Our final event was the highlight of the day - the boys got to practice their archery skills in England. What a short trip around the world - no wonder I was so tired yesterday.

2 comments:

Jared and Kendra said...

I think the word "Scouts" would make anyone tired, let alone spending the day at day camp! That sounded like an awesome scout camp though. I started thinking, "Wow, I wish I could go myself." What's the green band on the scouts' wrists for?

Becky said...

The green band was to show we paid - it was their security - you know, so no wierdos who didn't belong at the camp could come there and cause problems. They say 'on my honor' and the boys liked them.